Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

I remember my first Mother's Day as a mother... Michaela was 11 months old. I had carried a very large baby in my body for 9 months. Then endured 24 hours of labor before having a cesaerean section. I gave up sleep and even attempted to nurse for a few months. Surely, this was the day all my hard work would pay off.... but you all know what happened. I woke up to the familiar sound of a very-awake-baby on the monitor and my husband kicking me, saying, "She's up," at 6 am!!!!! I worked my hiney off that day, just like every other and went to bed that night in tears. What an exhausting time in my life! I look back on those days and feel so sorry for that woman, who just 2 years later would have 2 babies to wake her at 6am! Well, my friends, I've got to tell ya.... it gets sweeter all the time!

Today I woke up to my alarm at 7 am after a full 8 hours of sleep. My sweet girls tiptoed in and asked if it was finally time for me to bring me my gifts. They watched with pure joy as I delighted in many, many, many handmade cards and letters of their affection, framed handprints, and a painted wooden flower arrangement (that truly defies explanation). They giggled as I opened a card that sang to me, "You're Unbelievable!" They had even bought me a new outfit to wear to church. I started to give my thank-you hugs and kisses and Meggy said, "So, now what are you fixing me for breakfast?" Then came the moment I have waited 7 years for... Daddy said, "It's Mommy's special day Meggy. Today we get to take care of her." Oh, and what a day it has been... breakfast tacos, long naps, no food preparation at all. Mike set up the sprinkler and the girls have been playing outside. He even made them a picnic dinner.



Finally, I have to share the card Mike got me. It has a very goofy aligator on the front, but here is what it says,
"A Mother's Day Poem for my Wife
Honey, it's your special day, so just ignore the phone,
The chores can wait, so sleep in late or spend some time alone.
Enjoy your favorite magazine.
Veg out and watch tv.
Sit back, relax, and snarf some snacks...
In short, pretend your me!"

Really, isn't that all we ever want? Just admit it Dads!

It has been an awesome day and now I'm off to see a chick flick with my friends!
May everyone's Mother's Day be filled with the simple joy of being appreciated for being amazing! Mom's rock!

No comments: