Sunday, April 12, 2009

Missing Those Who are Celebrating in Heaven This Easter

Easter... a time to celebrate the resurrection of our Savior, Jesus Christ. A time to rejoice in the fact that through Jesus, our greatest enemy, death has been defeated. Those who believe in Him and accept His grace will have life everlasting. Heaven is a little more full of fun and laughter today as one of our dear pastors went on to be with our Heavenly Father this morning. Rusty was new to our church, but an old friend to many of our members. He died suddenly, which has added shock and disbelief to our sadness. I didn't have time to get to know Rusty very well on a personal level, but I have so many memories and know that he touched so many lives.

Just yesterday, I laughed out loud hearing Rusty talking to one of the youth about running in our church 5K. He laughed and said, "Does this look like a runner's body to you?" The kid then teased him about the wind resistance and Rusty's lack of hair. Bald pastors are a running inside joke at LUMC.
Last fall, at the Fall Festival, Rusty wore a cow costume. While others passed out candy, he got a kick out of offering the kids big pats of butter:)) Rusty LOVED to have fun!

During worship this morning, I have to admit that my singing was not as joyful as it should have been. My heart was heavy thinking of how different our church will be without Rusty, his grieving parents and brothers, the teens who were with him when it happened and did CPR to try to save his life, and his best friend who was with him when it happened.

My thoughts also went to the memories that we did not have time to make... as has happened at other times in my life. I miss my dad and I'm so sad about his absence in my life and my girls' lives. I wish he could hear Megan read. I wish he could see Michaela play soccer. I wish they could hear him tell them how proud of them he is. I wish I could hear the sound of their laughter as he chased them and tickled them. (He used to play 'lion' and the girls would howl and laugh and run as he would growl at them.)

Please remember the family of Lakewood United Methodist Church in your prayers. Please pray for comfort and peace for Rusty's family, friends, and the youth of our church.

Also, please tell those you love what they mean to you. Only God knows the number of our days.

1 comment:

Amy said...

This was beautiful Kris!