Well, today I started part-time job number 2. I am tutoring students at the school where I was an assistant principal. And yes, I gave up all the glory, comfortable chairs, excellent coffee, and office politics to be home at 7:30 each morning when M and m catch the "big yella" and at 3:30 when they hop off it. So, today I washed my hair AND put on make-up AND uncomfortable shoes and headed off to "Mommy's old work."
Little sister, "So, what are you doing today, why are you dressed?"
Big sister, with an air of expertise in her voice, "She is going to her old work."
Look of terror on little sister's face. "But what about us?"
If you had asked me three years ago, I would have told you what a perfectly balanced life I had. Apparently not everyone agreed. One of my favorite quotes from the old me was , "I am a better mom because I work." I really didn't think I would be a very good mom if I had to do it all the time.
As an assistant principal I spent a lot of time observing teachers and giving them feedback. I also received annual appraisals for my own performance. I was pretty good at my old job. But today at 3:30, I was on the front porch when two little girls hopped off and ran at top speed across the street to me for hugs and kisses. We sat around the kitchen table and had a snack while they shared all the silly/important details of their day. We played a couple of video games together and had dinner. Then I took M out shopping for some new jeans (the child's legs are inexplicably 3 inches longer in 2009 than in 2008!). We laughed and giggled in the dressing room when she accidentally put both legs in the same pants leg. We talked about all her friends at school and her genetic predisposition to be a tad too talkative. Then on the way home, she announced that I am, "the best mom ever." Wow, what do you know?! I might be pretty good at this job after all.
3 comments:
I love that you made a hard choice to make life better for your girls and ultimately yourself.
But I also love that we are getting to see you at "old work" for awhile.
And I love that kids were worried that they were in trouble when you went to get them today :)
I'm sad that I'm missing you at "your old work" this year. I miss our "book club" sessions in the afternoons! :) I've been sent all over the district this year, but not there. I hope it all works out for you and say hello to everyone for me.
I think you are doing a fabulous job!!
And seriously, what is it with these growth spurts? I think that's why I much prefer summer, shorts are short no matter what.
Post a Comment