I did it! 13.1 miles... 2 hours and 45 minutes... pace of 12:37... 75 degrees at the finish! The Houston Half-marathon! I am sure that many of you out there don't really grasp what an accomplishment this is for me or what possessed me to do something so crazy!
First, let me give a heartfelt congratulations to everyone who competed today. Also, let me share my admiration for the strength, endurance, and courage of those who ran the full 26.2 mile marathon. Way to go Jeff, Jen, and Matt!!!!!
Now, please forgive me as I bask in the glory for a moment!
Why is this a big deal for me? I am a healthy 36 year old woman. I have no excuse except that running is the only thing I have ever done that could be considered athletic. (I have a strange magnetic force in my face that attracts spherical objects, making playing any kind of 'ball' sport an impossibility. Add to that that I wore glasses as a kid... and well, you get the picture!) Well, I was on the tandem bicycle racing team for my sorority in college, (yes, we take it very seriously at ISU!) but "Daquiri Day" fell on a practice day and I became the team alternate after one very ugly practice. Finishing this race today meant that it is never too late. It is never too late to do anything God has planned for me.
Now for my 'thank you' speech. First, I must give glory and praise to God. He has used the training and today's race to strengthen my faith in Him. If I can run a 13 mile race, then truly all things are possible through Him! I also have to thank my wonderful husband and my girls who have encouraged me every step of the way. They have listened to me whine about the aches and pains and they have been so encouraging, never complaining about the time my training may have taken away from them. I was so excited to see them along the course today! At times, looking for them was all that kept me going (especially along that last mile!). I also have to thank all of my "runner" friends. I have admired you for so long! Your encouragement has meant so much! Jen, Jayme, and Jeff - y'all rock! I couldn't have done it without you! Last, but not least, I have to thank my non-running friends and family who really made me feel like a super-hero just for getting out there! Even when you thought I was crazy for doing it, (Erin and Joell!) you continued to encourage me!
Yes, I took a long nap after chowing down on a cheeseburger! Tomorrow will be another day of rest, thanks to Martin Luther King Jr! After that, I will have to figure out what's next!
3 comments:
I am soooooo very proud of you my friend! You are amazing and this is an amazing thing you've just accomplished!!! You never gave up...you held your head high the whole time while training. XOXOXO
You amaze me Miss Kris! No way I would EVER do that, I am so proud of you!!
I've still not gotten a return call from you sister! SK
Post a Comment